Monday, August 27, 2012


Well folks, let's get this show on the road.  To the left and below is the tractor that will be at the center of most of the writing that I will post to this blog.  I have been doing various things to this tractor to make it mine. So far I have painted the hood and covered the front grill with some material until I am able to get the proper grill which includes headlights.

I have been online reading different tractor forums and have found one that has provided lots of information that has been useful or at least informative. 
Tractor by Net has become my favorite.

I will now provide some history about this tractor.  I started getting the tractor fever after I started working on my property clearing brush and trees. After paying to have a couple of trees cut down and moved to the burn pile I decided to find a tractor to assist with moving the heavy stuff and keep the weeds mowed down. Hiring someone to mow my 15 acres had become expensive so I thought that I would find an inexpensive tractor that was able to operate a bush hog and not take me to the cleaners while doing so. There is a radio  talk show that comes on twice a day where people call in with things to sell. One day a guy called in with a 9n Ford tractor for sale for a thousand dollars.  I contacted him and went to take a look at the tractor. This is the tractor that I found.
The owner tried to get it to start to let me check it out, but he could not.  He told me that he had started it up and it ran good. We tried a few things to get it started, but were unsuccessful.  He finally offered to sell the tractor to me for $100. and a couple of guns that I had brought to trade in on the tractor. I said ok and we loaded the tractor on my trailer and I hauled it home. I took it to a ford tractor dealership to let them look at it and try to get it started. He checked it out and $300. later it was running. The distributor cap was cracked and the carburetor had to be removed and cleaned and adjusted. I took the tractor home and began using it. Later I changed the fluids and it worked well for me. 
Time passed and as I used the tractor I saw a need for a more powerful tractor.  I started looking and located the International pictured at the top of this blog. 

In the next installment I will take you through the steps taken to acquire the International. Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment